Please Make A Donation


Lighthouses Resources
Online Store Contact Us Home
Presque Isle Rear Range Lower NicoletWest Rear Range Little Current Six Mile Point Rear Range

Parry Sound

Spruce Island Shoal Jones Island Front Range Jones Island Rear Range Red Rock Pointe au Baril Front Range Byng Inlet Front Range Greaux ISland Bustard Rocks Cape Robert (lantern only) Snug Harbour Rear Range Byng Inlet Rear

Open to the public

Not open to the public

McKay Island

Bruce Mines

Collingwood

Tobermorey

Kincardine

Sarnia

Port Huron

Harbor Beach

Saginaw

East Tawas

Alpena

Rogers City

Little

Current

Owen Sound

Mississagi Strait Jsanet Head South Baymouth Front Range Cabot Head Stokes Bay Front Range Big Tub Saugeen River Rear Range Saugeen River Front Range Chantry Island Kincardine McNabb Point Point Clark Goderich Main Goderich South Breakwater

Visit our Gift Shop in Mackinaw City at 707 N. Huron Ave. - Right across the street from Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse

Contact:  Tel 231-436-5580    Fax 231-436-5466  Mail  PO Box 219, Mackinaw City, MI 49701  Email  info@gllka.com

Hover over a map marker to see the name of the light and click the marker to open a window containing additional information

Round Island Passage Round Island Bois Blanc Island Spectacle Reef Old Mackinac Point Detour Reef Cheboygan River Front Range Cheboygan Crib Fourteen Foot Shoal Poe Reef Martin Reef Middle Island Presque Isle (1870) Presque Isle (1840) Presque Isle Front Range Thunder Bay Island Alpena Tawas Point Pipe Island Round Island Forty Mile Point Sturgeon Point Gravelly Shoal Charity Island Port Austin Reef Pointe aux Barques Harbor Beach Port Sanilac Fort Gratiot Back (history) #top Back (history) Prince Edward Point Range Stokes Bay Rear Range Lion's Head Flowerpot Island Cove Island Cape Croker Griffith Island Nottawasaga Island Nancy Island Christian Island Hope Island Midland Point Front Range Victoria Harbour Rear Range Beausoleil Island Rear Range Brebeuf Island Western Islands South Baymouth Rear Range Manotowaning Badgely Island Killarney West Killarney East Strawberry Island Kagawong Great Duck Island Shoal Island Wilson Avenue Range West Sister Rock Lonely Island Saginaw River Rear Range

Fourteen Foot Shoal

Built in 1930 to warn mariners of the shoal for which it is named, this was the first lighthouse in the US to be operated by radio control, from Poe Reef light station. Up close views can be obtained on Shepler’s Eastbound and Extended Eastbound lighthouse cruises.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Old Mackinac Point

A fog signal was established at Old Mackinac Point in 1890, and two years later the unique castle-like lighthouse was erected beside it. The light station is now owned and under restoration by Mackinaw State Historic Parks. The grounds are open all years and the lighthouse is open for tours from early May through October.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Cheboygan River

Front Range

With the narrow dredged river channel in the Cheboygan River difficult to discern, a pair of range lights were established in the river in 1880. Later serving as a Coast Guard station until 1985, the lighthouse is now owned and under restoration by the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association and volunteer keepers open the lighthouse to the public on weekends and holidays from Memorial Day through mid October.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Cheboygan Crib

While the Cheboygan range lights served to mark the center of the channel into the river, mariners had difficulty finding the outer end of the narrow channel at night. The Cheboygan Crib light was established ½ mile offshore in 1884. Tilting dangerously by the 1980’s the lighthouse was brought to shore and placed in Gordon Turner Park where it can be seen up close.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Poe Reef

Lying directly in the track of vessels entering and leaving the south channel between Bois Blanc Island and the mainland, Poe Reef light station was erected in 1929 to replace an aging lightship. Great views of the light can be had on Shepler’s Eastbound and Extended Eastbound lighthouse cruises.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Detour Reef

As part of a major upgrading of lights in the Straits of Mackinac, a first class lighthouse and fog signal station was built on Detour reef in 1931. The lighthouse has been completely restored by the Detour Reef Lighthouse Preservation Society who offer boat trips from DeTour Village to the lighthouse on weekends over the summer.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Pipe Island

Established in 1888, it served as a rear range for another light which used to be located on Frying Pan Island, a small island near the village of DeTour at the mouth of the river. The lighthouse and island area are privately owned and a private or charter boat is required to see it from offshore.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Round Island

Established in 1892, the lighthouse was one of a series of lights established to guide mariners through the many twists in the River. Purchased privately in 1998, the lighthouse and island have undergone an amazing transformation. A private or charter boat is needed to see this light.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Martin Reef

Built in 1927 to replace a lightship, the lighthouse warns of a dangerous reef lying in the freighter track between Detour and the Round Island Passage. The light is still owned by the Coast Guard and a local steward is being sought. The lighthouse is seen on Shepler’s Les Cheneax lightouse cruises.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Spectacle Reef

Lying in the freighter track between Detour and Cheboygan, this massive limestone structure was erected to warn mariners of the danger in 1974. The lighthouse can be seen on both Shepler’s Extended Eastbound and Les Cheneaus Islands lighthouse cruises.


Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Bois Blanc Island

The second US lighthouse on Lake Huron was erected here in 1929. A poorly built rubble stone tower, it was undermined by waves and fell in 1837. A second similar structure did not fare much better, and was replaced by the Cream City brick schoolhouse style lighthouse in 1867. The lighthouse is privately owned, but great views can be had on Shepler’s Eastbound, Extended Eastbound and Les Cheneaux lighthouse cruises.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Round Island Island

The Round Island light station was established in 1894 to help mariners through the Round Island Passage. Its light extinguished in 1948, the abandoned lighthouse almost collapsed in 1972, but was saved by Mackinac Island residents. Great views can be seen on Shepler’s Eastbound and Extended Eastbound lighthouse cruises.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Round Island

Passage

Built in 1948 to replace the aging 1894 Round Island lighthouse, the Round Island Passage light was designed as a fully automated station. Great views can be had from all Shepler’s Eastbound lighthouse cruises.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Forty Mile Point

Built as an interim Coast light between Old Mackinac Point and Thunder Bay in 1896, the lighthouse is now owned by Presque Isle County and is preserved by the 40 Mile Point Lighthouse Society, and is open to the public for tours from May through October.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Presque Isle (new)

The old 1840 lighthouse on Presque Isle was deemed to short to be of value for such an important coast light, and this new “hundred foot” tower was erected to replace it in 1870. Now owned and preserved by Presque Isle Township Museum Society. The grounds are open all year and the station is open for tours from May through October.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Presque Isle (old)

Built in 1840 to serve as a coast light and a guide into the harbor of refuge behind the point, the lighthouse was rendered obsolete in 1870 by the construction of the new lighthouse one mile to the north. Now owned and preserved by Presque Isle Township Museum Society. The grounds are open all year and the station is open for tours from May through October.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Presque Isle

Front Range

These range lights were erected in 1870 to serve as a guide into the harbor behind Presque Isle. The front light shown here is owned and has been restored and preserved by Presque Isle Township. You can drive right up to the lighthouse for a close up view.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Middle Island

Built in 1905 to serve as an interim Coast light to mark the turning point for vessels coasting the western shore of Lake Huron, the lighthouse is now owned by the Middle Island Lighthouse Preservation Society. The Society offers boat trips to the island to tour the light station on weekends during the summer season.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Thunder Bay Island

Established in 1832 to mark both a turning point for vessels coasting along the western shore of the lake and as a warning for the reefs which surround the island, the lighthouse was rebuilt a number of times. Now under the stewardship of the Thunder Bay Island Lighthouse Preservation Society, the rocky shore around the island currently makes visitation extremely difficult. Good views can be had from the water by private or charter boat.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Alpena

Built in 1914 to replace a timber frame beacon that marked the entrance to the Thunder Bay River since 1875, good views of the lighthouse can be had from the piers of the City Marina in downtown Alpena.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Sturgeon Point

Built in 1870, the Sturgeon Point lighthouse was built to the same plan as the lights at Tawas Point, St. Helena Island and Poverty Island. Now owned by the State of Michigan and preserved by the Alcone Historical Society, the grounds are open all year and the lighthouse is open for tours from Memorial Day through September. Click the link below to see their open hours.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Tawas Point

Built in 1877 to replace an 1853 station that became land locked as the length of the point extended. The lighthouse is now part of Tawas Point State Park and volunteers with the Friends of Tawas Point Lighthouse man the station for tours from May through mid October. Click the link below for open hours.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Gravely Shoal

An automated light built in 1939 to mark a shoal lying to the northwest of Charity Island, the lighthouse was equipped with a radio beacon to help mariners fix their position when heading into and out of Saginaw Bay. The lighthouse is still owned, maintained and operated by the US Coast Guard and a private or charter boat is needed to view it.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Charity Island

The Charity Island lighthouse was built in 1857 to serve as a guide to mariners heading into the Saginaw River. Abandoned with construction of the Gravelly Shoal light in 1939, the lighthouse was badly vandalized and the privately owned dwelling caved-in. The owners built a new dwelling which is used as a bed & breakfast inn, and also offer day trips and dinner cruises out to the island throughout the summer season. Click the link below for dates and times.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Saginaw River

Rear Range

Range lights were established at the mouth of the Saginaw River in 1876 to better lead mariners into the river than the old 1841 Saginaw Bay light. Used by the Coast Guard until a new station was built in 1980, the lighthouse was abandoned. Surrounded by their property, Dow Chemical purchased the site and the Saginaw River Marine Historical Society has been working with Dow Chemical to stabilize the structure. Normally closed to the public and very difficult to see other than by private or charter boat from the river, SRMHS holds an annual one day open house and opens the lighthouse for tours.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Port Austin Reef

Port Austin reef is an extremely shallow rock reef lying just below the surface of the water, and the lighthouse was erected to warn mariners of its existence in 1894. The Port Austin Reef Light Association was formed in the 1980’s and obtained a lease to begin restoration. They installed a new roof and windows. PARLA received the lighthouse via NHLPA in 2012, and they hope eventually to completely restore it and open it to the public. Until then, a private or charter boat is the only way to obtain close up views.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Pointe aux Barques

Built in 1857 to replace a deteriorating 1848 rubble stone structure, the lighthouse was automated in 1958 and transferred the property and lighthouse to Huron County to operate as a park. The lighthouse is now being preserved and interpreted by the Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse Society who open the lighthouse for tours from Memorial Day through mid October.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Harbor Beach

Established in 1885 to mark the entry gap in the breakwater of the “Million dollar harbor of refuge” built at Harbor Beach, the lighthouse continued to be manned until it was automated in 1967. The Harbor Beach Lighthouse Preservation Society formed and obtained a license from the Coast Guard to undertake restoration. The City received the deed to the lighthouse through the NHLPA  and the HBLPA offers boat trips out to tour the lighthouse from June through August. Click the link below for dates and reservation information.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Port Sanilac

The lighthouse at Port Sanilac was established in 1886 to serve as an interim light on the long stretch of unlighted coast between Fort Gratiot and Harbor Beach. The light was electrified in 1926 and sold into private ownership. The lighthouse is still privately owned, but good views can be had from the road to the south of the lighthouse and out on the earthen breakwater.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Fort Gratiot

Built in 1825, the year of the opening of the Erie Canal, Fort Gratiot lighthouse was the first lighthouse established in the state of Michigan. Serving as a Coast Guard bas until the early 2000’s the lighthouse was transferred to Saint Clair County, the Port Huron Museum partners with the county to restore and interpret the historic light station. The lighthouse is open for public tours from May through October.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Point Edward Range

Established in 1903 to guide mariners through the dredged channel into the St. Clair River. The old timber lights were removed and the front light replaced by this modern cylindrical tower with daymark. The rear range light consists of a daymark and light attached to the Blue Water international bridge in the background.  

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Goderich Main

The Goderich Main Light was erected in 1847, and replaced a set of timber range lights which served the harbor since the early 1830’s. Now owned by the city and located in a park atop the bluff above the harbor, the light can be seen close up from within the park.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Goderich Breakwater

After a breakwater was built to protect the growing harbor at Goderich in 1908, a light was placed on its outer end to mark the harbor entry. Still a busy grain and salt shipment harbor, the light continues to serve maritime traffic entering the harbor.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Point Clark

Built in 1859 to mark an important turning point for mariners coasting along Lake Huron’s eastern shore, the 87-foot tower is one of Ontario’s Imperial towers erected by contractor John Brown. Owned by Parks Canada, the tower has recently been restored and the site reopen to the public in 2014.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Kincardine

Built in 1881 to guide mariners into the Penetangore river, the lighthouse stand 74 feet tall. Now operating as a maritime museum, the lighthouse is open for tours from July through September.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

McNabb Point

Originally erected on the Southampton north breakwater which connected to Chantry Island, the lighthouse was relocated to McNabb point in 1901. The lighthouse is located on private property and is not accessible to the general public, and as such is best seen by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Chantry Island

One of Ontario’s Imperial towers built by contractor John Brown, the lighthouse on Chantry Island was built in 1859. In 1957 the island was declared a bird sanctuary by the government and restoration of the lighthouse was taken on by the  Southampton Maritime Heritage Society which offers boat tours out to the lighthouse from June through early September. Click the link below for dates and times.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Stokes Bay

Rear Range

A pair of range lights were established in to guide mariners into the protection of Stokes Bay in 1904. The front range on Knife Island and the rear range on the mainland. Replaced by modern lights, the rear range was scheduled for demolition, but it was saved and flown by helicopter to Bruce County Museum in Southampton, where it has been restored and is displayed.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Saugeen River

Front Range

This lighthouse was erected on the north pier at the entrance to the Saugeen River in Southampton in 1903 to replace a former pole light. It is an easy walk out the north pier to get close up views of the lighthouse.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Saugeen River

Rear Range

This typical Canadian “pepper pot” style lighthouse was erected on shore to serve as a rear light for the Saugeen River range in Southampton in 1903. The light is located just a short distance from Highway 21 on South Rankin Street.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Stokes Bay

Front Range


A pair of range lights were established in to guide mariners into the protection of Stokes Bay in 1904. The front range on Knife Island and the rear range on the mainland. Replaced by modern lights, the rear range was scheduled for demolition, but it was saved and flown by helicopter to Bruce County Museum in Southampton, where it has been restored and is displayed. A group has recently been formed to try and save the remaining front range light. Click the link below to find out about their efforts.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Big Tub

Erected in 1885, the Big Tub lighthouse served as the primary leading light into the harbor of Tobermorey. The lighthouse was electrified in 1952, and still serves as an active aid to navigation. A group of area citizens completely restored the exterior of the lighthouse in 1912. The lighthouse is easily accessed by driving to the parking area at the end of Zora Drive.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Cabot Head

The lighthouse was established in 1896 to serve as a marker for mariners rounding Cabot Head. A group known as “The Friends of Cabot Head” now preserves and interprets the lighthouse, and they have a volunteer keeper program available to members. You can drive right up to the lighthouse which is open to the public for tours throughout the summer season.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Lion’s Head

Established in 1903, the lighthouse was replaced a number of times over the years. The lighthouse was demolished when the light was relocated to a pole in 1969. A group of high school students built and erected an exact replica of the original lighthouse, and is a popular tourist destination.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Cape Croker

When originally built in 1898, the Cape Croker light was a small wood frame structure. Completely rebuilt in 1909, the lantern housed a third order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse is located in the Cape Croker Indian Reservation, but you can drive right up to the tower, which is surrounded by chain link fence.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Griffith Island

One of Ontario’s six famous Imperial towers built by contractor John Brown, construction on the north side of Griffith Island was completed in 1859. Still housing an active solar-powered light, the tower is in good condition but the roofless dwelling is in a state of near collapse. A private or charter boat is needed to see this lighthouse.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Nottawasaga Island

Another of Ontario’s six famous Imperial towers. Built by contractor John Brown in in 1858, the lighthouse served as the principal leading light into the harbor of Collingwood, Automated in 1953, the outer layer of stone on the tower began to fail and the federal government allocated funds to stabilize. The work was incomplete, and the tower is again failing badly. A local group called “Save The Nottawasaga Lighthouse” has formed and they hope to raise the finds to stabilize the tower. A private or charter boat is needed to see this light.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Nancy Island

Nancy island is an artificial island in the Nottawasaga River which was created by silt and vegetation which formed around a vessel NANCY which was burned here in 1814. A replica of the Collingwood front rage light was built on the island in 1967 and completely renovated in 2008.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Christian Island

Erected in 1857, the Christian Island lighthouse was the first of six Imperial towers built by contractor George Browns. The lantern was removed during World War II, abut a new lantern installed by the Coast Guard in 2001. The island can be reached by ferry from Cedar Point.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Hope Island

Built in 1884, the Hope Island light was one of number of lights established to lead mariners around shoals and islands on their way in and out of Collingwood. The station was restored by a local group in 2004. The photograph above is from around 1950.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Midland Point

Front Range

Built in 1900 to guide mariners into Midland harbor, and discontinued in 1912. The light is on private property and can be seen from the water by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Victoria Harbour

Rear Range

Built in 1910 to guide mariners into Midland harbor, the range was discontinued in the 1990’s. Now owned by Tay Township there has been discussion or restoration. Located on William Street in Victoria Harbour.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Brébeuf Island

Originally built on Gin Rock in 1878, the lighthouse was moved to Brebeuf Island in 1900 to serve as a front range with the Beausoleil Island light. A distant view can be had from Beausoleil Island, but is best seen by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Beausoleil Island

Rear Range

Erected in 1900 to serve as a rear range for the Brebeuf Island lighthouse, Beausoleil Island is now part of Georgian Bay Islands National Park. The grounds around the structure are open to the public and you can access the island by private boat or water taxi from Honey Harbour.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Western Islands

Built in 1895 on Double Top Island at the southwest end of the Western Islands to help guide the way into Parry Sound, the lighthouse is only accessible by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Cape Robert (lantern)

The lighthouse was built on Cape Robert on the north side of Manitoulin Island in 1885. Demolished in the 1950’s and replaced by a skeletal steel tower, the lantern was removed and shipped to Parry Sound where it was placed atop an octagonal guard shack at the Parry Sound Coast Guard base.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Spruce Island Shoal

Erected in 1907, the light on Spruce Island Shoal was an automated with an acetylene illuminating system operated by a sun valve. The light was replaced by a buoy in 1949 but the structure still serves as a daymark. A private or charter boat is needed to see this light.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Jones Island

Rear Range

Built in 1894 to assist mariners making their way between the hazards lying in the entry to Parry Sound. The lighthouse can only be seen by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Jones Island

Front Range

Built in 1894 to assist mariners making their way between the hazards lying in the entry to Parry Sound. The lighthouse can only be seen by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Red Rock

This unique light built in 1911, and is the third lighthouse to be built on Red Rock since 1870. The helicopter landing pad above the lantern in the 1980’s. Still an active aid to navigation, a private or charter boat will be required to see this lighthouse as it is located over 10 miles from shore In Georgian Bay.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Snug Harbour

Rear Range

Built in 1894 to serve as rear range to a smaller light located on Walton Island. Still an active aid to navigation, a private or charter boat is the only way to see this light.  

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Pointe au Baril

Front Range

Built in 1889 to serve as a range with a 60’ triangular tower on Macklin Island, the lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation and can only be seen by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Gereaux Island

Built in 1880 to replace an 1870 structure, Gereaux Island serves as the leading light into Byng Inlet. Still an active aid to navigation, the site is only accessible only by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Byng Inlet

Front Range

Built in 1890 to serve as a guide to mariners making their way through the rocky entrance into Byng Inlet and the Magnetewan River beyond. Both range lights were unmanned, tended by the keeper of the nearby Gereaux Island lighthouse. Still an active aid to navigation, a private or charter boat is the only way to see this light.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Byng Inlet

Rear Range

Established in 1890 to serve as a guide to mariners making their way through the rocky entrance into Byng Inlet, the rear range was replaced with this steel structure in 1936 Still an active aid to navigation, a private or charter boat is the only way to see this light.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Bustard Rocks

Range lights were established on Bustard Rocks in 1875 to lead mariners in from Georgian Bay. In 1893 a third light was built to range with the original rear range light to serve mariners heading into Georgian Bay from the French River. These lights are extremely remote and a private or charter boat is the only way they can be seen.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Cove Island

Another of Ontario’s six classic Imperial towers built by contractor John Brown, the Cove Island lighthouse was built in 1858, and served as one of the most important lighthouse on Georgian Bay. A distant view of the lighthouse can be had from the CHI CHEEMAUN ferry on the journey from Tobermory to South Baymouth, but a private or charter boat is needed for a close up view.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Flowerpot Island

Another of Ontario’s six classic Imperial towers built by contractor John Brown, the Cove Island lighthouse was built in 1858, and served as one of the most important lighthouse on Georgian Bay. A distant view of the lighthouse can be had from the CHI CHEEMAUN ferry on the journey from Tobermory to South Baymouth, but a private or charter boat is needed for a close up view.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Lonely Island

Built to guide mariners into Georgian Bay between Manitoulin Island to the north and The Bruce to the south, the first lighthouse was established on Lonely Island in 1870, with the existing structure built to replace it in 1908. Automated in 1987, the lighthouse is remote and only accessible by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

South Baymouth

Front Range

Built in 1989 to guide mariners into South Baymouth at the southern end of Manitoulin Island, the lights still serve as an active aid to navigation. A good view can be had from on board the CHI-CHEEMAUN ferry as you enter the harbor and from land once you arrive on the island.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

South Baymouth

Rear Range

Built in 1989 to guide mariners into South Baymouth at the southern end of Manitoulin Island, the lights still serve as an active aid to navigation. A good view can be had from on board the CHI-CHEEMAUN ferry as you enter the harbor and from land once you arrive on the island.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Manitowaning

Built in 1885 on the west side of Manitoulin Island’s Manitowaning Bay. The lighthouse is not open to the public, however good up close views can be obtained from the all around the lighthouse which is located at the end of Arthur Road.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Badgely Island

Built in 1912, this tower originally served as the rear light for the Badgely Island range, the front light being destroyed in 1981. An active aid to navigation, you will need a private or charter boat to see this light

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Killarney East

Established in 1866, the lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation. Located on Red Rock Point and the end of Ontario Street, the lighthouse grounds are open to the public and afford great views of the structure.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Killarney West

Established in 1866, the lighthouse is located on Partridge Island as is still an active aid to navigation. Because of its island location, a private boat or water taxi from Killarney harbor is the only way to see this light.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Strawberry Island

Built in 1881, the lighthouse sits on the northern shore of the island from which it takes its name. The lighthouse is privately leased from the Coast Guard. You can obtain a distant view from the swing bridge in Little Current, but the best views are obtained from private or charter boat. Please respect the privacy of the people who live here.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Kagawong

Built in 1894 to replace a deteriorating 1880 structure, the lighthouse sits behind and above the harbor for which it is named. Automated in the 1960’s the lighthouse still serves as an active navigation aid. Great views of the lighthouse can be had from all around the harbor.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Janet Head

Built to lead mariners into Gore Bay, the lighthouse was built in 1879. Still an active aid to navigation, the lighthouse is located at 621 Lighthouse Road and is leased to a family who use it as their summer home. Visitors are welcome Tuesday through Saturday in July and August from 1:00 PM to 4:  PM.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Mississagi Strait

Built in 1873, the lighthouse is located at the western tip of Manitouling Island and guards Strait for which it is named. The Meldrum Bay Society and the Manitoulin Tourist Association banded together in 1983 and secured a lease on the lighthouse and created the Mississagi Lighthouse and Heritage Park, which is open to the public throughout the summer season.  

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Great Duck Island

This tall reinforced concrete tower was built in 1918 to replace an earlier 1877 structure that was found to be in deteriorated condition. Now solarized, the light is still an active aid to navigation. Located 12 miles to the east of Manitoulin Island, the island is privately owned and the only way to see this light is by private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Shoal Island

This lighthouse was built in 1909 to replace an 1881 structure which burned beyond repair. While it is possible to see this lighthouse in the distance from the bridge which connects St. Joseph Island with the mainland, a private boat or charter boat is the best way to see this light.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Wilson Channel

Range

Established in 1905 to serve the large amount of commercial traffic which made its way through the North Channel at the turn of the 20th century. The lights are still active aids to navigation, and can be seen from the bridge which connects St. Joseph Island to the mainland, or you can take Range Lights Road from Hwy 17.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

West Sister Rock

West Sister rock is an almost submerged chunk of rock which lies to the east of St. Joseph Island in the north Channel. To mark the hazard, a lighthouse formerly located on North Sister Rock was relocated here in 1905. The lighthouse still serves as an active aid to navigation and can only be seen from private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

McKay Island

McKay Island lighthouse was built in 1907. The lighthouse is part of “Bruce Bay Cottages & Lighthouse” and is available for rent. The lighthouse is located on an island but there is a steel bridge which connects it to the mainland. However, the property is closed to all but paying guests to ensure their privacy.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More
Wawatam Light

Wawatam

Originally built as a tourist attraction at the Visitors Center at Monroe in southern Michigan, the structure was sold to the city of St. Ignace in 2005, disassembled and trucked to the UP city where it was reassembled on the old CHIEF WAWATAM dock the following year. Lighted as a private aid to navigation in August, 2006. You can drive to the foot of the pier and walk out the pier for close up views.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Little Current

The light at Little Current was built in 1866 and decommissioned in 1922. Untended, the little light deteriorated and was demolished some time thereafter. The good people of Litle Current built built this replica of the light in 2012.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More
Six Mile Point Front Range

Six Mile Point

Rear Range

After improvements were completed in the Hay Lake Channel of the St. Marys River in 1894, a pair of ranges were erected on Six Mile Point in 1906. When replaced with modern towers, the rear range structure was moved to Cedarville where it is displayed on the grounds of the Les Cheneaux Historical Museum.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Six Mile Point

Front Range

After improvements were completed in the Hay Lake Channel of the St. Marys River in 1894, a pair of ranges were erected on Six Mile Point in 1906. When replaced with modern towers, the front range structure was moved to DeTour Village where it is displayed on the grounds of the DeTour Passage Historical Museum.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More

Lower Nicolet West

Front Range

Range lights were established on the northern end of Neebish Island in 1895 to guide mariners through the lower end of Lake Nicolet. The original 1895 rear range still stand close to the modern day board and light which replaced it. It is possible to drive and walk to see the light but the best view can be had from a private or charter boat.

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More
Learn More

Presque Isle

Rear Range

These range lights were erected in 1870 to serve as a guide into the harbor behind Presque Isle. The rear range light is located across the street from the front range and now serves as a private home, but it can be seen from the gated driveway. Please respect the owners privacy when you visit.

Learn More

Sand Point

(Escanaba)

The 1867 lighthouse has been restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Learn More